Saturday, April 30, 2011

friends & family, start studying!

Some of the coolest souvenirs I will be bringing back with me are my new spanglish words and phrases. They are fully embedded into my english speaking and aren't going away any time soon. Therefor.....you must start studying in order to understand me upon my return :) 


Key: 
VERY potent in my new language
Used regulary
Just used every once in a while

Tengo ganas: to feel like doing something OR to look forward to. Ex: Tengo muchas ganas to see my family soon! I don't have very much ganas that I'll want to go out tonight. How much ganas do you have to run in the rain right now? 

Listas?: ready?

Guapa: literally means pretty, but we use it to call your girlfriends a nickname, like buddy, babe, dude. 


No pasa nada: it's fine, don't worry about it, all good. 

Bocadillo: (pronounced bo-ca-di-yo) a big sandwich. Ex: Want to get bocadillos for lunch?

Río: river. Ex: oh wow, the level of the rio is really high today.  

Claro: surely, duh, no problem, absolutely, clearly, yes.  Ex: Professor, do you think I'll do good on the final exam? -Claro, Claro!

Tiene razón: You have reason to think that, you're on to something. Ex: "I think that guy likes you" -"Tiene razón, he's been calling me every day!"

Que lástima: What a shame. Ex: What a lástima that all the stores close at 3:00. 

Que pasa?: What's up? How's it going?

Que feo: literally means "how ugly," but you can use it for any bad situation. Ex: Que feo, it's raining outside. 


Me da igual: literally, it is of equal importance to me. Or, whichever you want, I don't care, either one. Ex: "Do you want to go to Starbucks or Cafe y te?" -"Me da igual." 


No me importa: I don't care. 


Hasta Luego: see you later. bye. 


No tengo ningun idea: I have no idea. 


The verb 'Faltar':  literally means to lack. Ex: I'm faltar-ing my keys, I have to find them before I leave. 


Espero que si: I hope so!


Mas o menos: literally, more or less. But you can use it to describe an average situation. Ex: "How was school today?" -"mas o menos"


Vale/Bueno: okay. 

Vale la pena: It's worth it. 


Mentira!: false, lies, wrong! Ex: "I'm the new queen of England" -"Mentira!"


Botellon: (pronounced bo-tay-yone) drinking with your friends in the streets before going to the bars or club. pregame. Ex: Where are you guys going after botelloning? 


No comments:

Post a Comment