Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The day I fell in love with Portugal

 




It's been a few days since I've been back from Portugal, and I've been busy! I was in Lagos which is in the southwest corner, right on the coast. I went with a student-tourist company called DiscoverSevilla. It was nice to not have to plan anything, although when we were there we all realized that we could've done Portugal way cheaper had we gone on our own. But it was nice that the trip was a package deal: transportation, 2 nights in a hotel and they bussed us to 2 different beaches and a pretty sunset.

We left early Friday, got there about mid day and headed straight to the beach! Our hotel was right next to the most gorgeous beach everrrr. Don't believe me?  Told ya >>>

My only complaint about this trip was that the majority of the 300 some american students that went were all the same "type." FRAT PEOPLE. blaaahhh. And "they" all treated this trip very much like spring break. People were drinking a ton and at all hours of the day and night. Americanos locos.






That evening we bussed to "the end of the world" to watch the sunset (Cabo de San Vincente). Back in the day, everyone thought that this point was indeed the end of the world. No one knew the western world existed. At Cabo de San Vincente, huge waves crash against the cliffs and you can't see anything but water in 3 out of 4 directions. Amazing.






That night we went out and danced at some bar where DiscoverSevilla got us a few drinks that were included in what we paid. Mary, my dearest travel roomie, and I went back to the hotel earlier than the rest....but not before stopping for ice cream :)



The next day.....sangria cruise! We paid a bit extra 
to go on a 2 hour boat ride and get UNLIMITED SANGRIA. And it did not disappoint. The other girls went on the earlier cruise than Mary and I, but we made do and even met a few people (and when I say a few people I mean one really cute boy hahaha). Anyways, a little while into the cruise, they sectioned us into smaller groups to go in to see the Grottos. Check it out :)

We spent the rest of the day on yet another gorgeous beach. 

That night we were all told to wear white to go out. Us girls decided to drink and play a few games before we went to the bar. It's cheaper that way. I learned a new SUPERfun game in which the F-word is used about every half second. And another brilliant, new game called Thunderstruck. It was kind of hard...you put on the song Thunderstruck by AC/DC and every time they say "thunder," you drink

We made it to the bar for the night, and whaddya know?! I see my sangria cruise boy I had met earlier that day. It was fun to have a dance buddy for the night buttttt unfortunately he's studying in Madrid this semester, not Sevilla, so I most likely will never see him again ever. Hmph.

The next day we went to the THIRD beach. Some people did surfing lessons, which was pretty cool to watch! But I'm glad I didn't do it, I wouldv'e gotten wayyy too frustrated for a beach weekend. We all got lots of sun and had lots of fun. It was so much fun to be with the mini API group I was with. It was 6 other girls that I haven't spent much time with thus far, but I they're all super funny and nice and I hope to get to know them better. 

1 comment: