Monday, February 21, 2011

♪"She tipped the DJ to play her favorite song, a spanish little number that was rockin' on strong"♫

I've been feeling extra spanish these last 4-5 days. Heres why:

  • Friday night I sat in a gypsy cave, drinking sangria and watching flamenco
  • I visited the most visited monument in all of Europe (El Alhambra in Granada)
  • I had my first tinto de verano
  • I hung out at a club where I was ONE of two americans. The spaniards we were with were so welcoming and loved having us out with them.
  • We went for a walk the other day and stumbled into an art market by the river. We want to be regulars, and go to the free painting classes every Saturday and Sunday
  • Gracita's 1 year old granddaughter loves me enough to let me hold her. She's holds a mean game of peek-a-boo
  • I went to a fútbol game (ie-SOCCER) and got chills when I saw the field. We won over Hercules C.F.
Anyyyyyways. That's enough for that list. In the book I just finished reading, I have been thinking a lot about one of the main lessons. It goes like this: Lesson no. 1: Making comparisons can spoil your happiness.
Later on, the novel reads, "Hector found the idea of comparing yourself to yourself interesting. Comparisons can spoil your happiness, but they can also help you to tell yourself that you're happy." My mind is up in the air about this lesson. As a piece of advice, I was once told "don't compare!" That very well may be the best and worst piece of advice I've ever gotten.


Since I've been here I have been making a lot of comparisons...how can you not! "We do this in the states" "Its different here how people..." etc. I do think that in certain situations comparisons are okay. One must realize differences but it is not necessary to rank one experience/person/country over the other. So...to this advice I would probably rebuttal, "define 'making comparisons.'" Ranking things, yes, can spoil one's happiness. But if you compare apples to oranges to pineapples to footballs...I think that does NOT stand in the way of one's happiness. :) so there. 

I want to make a mosh-posh music video of life here. When I'm walking around with my ipod playing, I realize that there are certain songs that just GO with life here. The songs I want to use thus far are How Good it Can Be by The 88, Hips Don't Lie by Shakira (have to haha), Make Her Say by Kid Cudi and Our Finest Year by Better than Ezra. I'll have to try to take good videos while I'm here to try to make this happen. 

Next list. More random notices, if you will:
  • There is no butter here. Only oil. 
  • It is so cute when people hold heavy bags together like this >>>
  • I saw 4 dads pushing babies in strollers in 1 day. I don't think I've ever seen that in the US. 
  • People are pretty and classy. Not cute and sparkly. 
  • I hardly am fed any veggies : /
  • This city is NOT overcrowded and I feel that everyone has room to breathe. 
  • People relax more. They'll Have a beer or 2 at lunch, sit outside for hours at a cafe or take the long way home. 
  • Even though the economy is bad here, the outdoor restaurants and cafes are always packed :)
  • They don't like for your hair to be wet. Both Tally and I get a talking to if we attempt to go outside with (even the slightest) damp hair. 
  • Babies are placed in mini sleeping bags when they're sitting in the stroller
  • Ricky Martin is just as much of a has-been here as he is in the states

2 comments:

  1. Hi - So good to hear from you ! Is that you in the first and third pictures. Certainly that beautiful blond must be you. I love the pictures. This week we had snow, a little melting weather, then an ice storm. All the trees and wires were coated with ice. I'll try and include a picture I tok out my window of the ice covered tree. But some trees became so heavy they fell - - of course they fell across electric wires. Parts of Cleveland were without nay power for over 24 hours. (They had to cut those trees away before they could repair the wiring! It was a very big job!) Aren't yu glad you are not here right now? I'll try and put my picture on this comment section separately from this comment. Love, Gram.

    ReplyDelete