Sunday, February 13, 2011

i wish my nose could take snapshots an my thoughts could be in pictures


Today while going for a walk after it rained, I was wishing that I could share this scent with you guys. Puddles on the ground, a light mist in the air, and water dripping from the orange trees above you. I think I'll trademark this scent as "orange-infused rain." I don't think the orange trees will ever get old to me. 
        
Also, while on the subject of senses...my roommate and I (Tally, ie fellow over-thinker and analyzer) were talking about this topic the other night. I dare you to follow along, because it took me a solid 20 minutes of explanation to understand it. Here's the concept: How do deaf people think? Because the rest of the population thinks in words. For instance, close your eyes and think "I really want mango ice cream right now." Didn't you think it in words? While yes, I'm sure you could picture it and think about the taste, our main stream of thinking is in words. So....if one was deaf and has never heard ANYTHING in their life, how would they think? If they want to think "i want ice cream," how does it run in their head? ...cuz it can't be words, they don't know what words sound like. The closest thing to an answer I can get to is ---they must think really creatively! 

Also, isn't it peculiar how we can think in any voice we want, but we can only produce our own sound. Example: in your head, listen to Lady Gaga's 'Bad Romance,' weren't you listening/thinking it in her perfect voice? not your own voice? ahhh. This boggles my mind. 

I know you guys have missed my pointless ramblings and questions about anything and everything under the sun. So hope you enjoyed, and weren't to bored/weirded out. hahaha.

PS- (actual things about my experience..) I woke up with one of the worst soar throats of my life. Good thing i didn't wake up til 1:00, Gracia made soup for lunch AND delicious creme filled cookies for snacks. Also, i made friends with her 4 year old grandson, Alvaro, despite the fact that I broke one of his toys and mad him cry cuz i stopped playing with him. oops. We're in a band together that sings a jingle about butter (from a commercial on TV). 

3 comments:

  1. I think your ideas about deafness and thoughts are very perceptive. I believe you'd like the book about Helen Keller. She was deaf, blind and mute. fortunately her parents finally found a teacher who could 'reach' her. She was a very brilliant woman - both Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan (sp?) She actually learned a little how to speak - not clearly - but little. Hope some library near you might loan the book - - do they have free libraries like we do? And HAPPY VAPENTINES DAY to you. Love, Gram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope your sore throat is better! Don't you like the way this keyboard (not me) just the keyboard spelled valentine. Have a nice day. Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Kate and Tally --Where do you guys come up with this stuff????

    ReplyDelete