Sunday, March 20, 2011

True or False: something is beautiful because it is unique?

I've asked many friends this question and I LOVE hearing how different everyone's responses are. So let's hear it! This thought first dawned on me when I was at the top of the bluffs in La Crosse, WI. >>> I was looking at the view and spring flowers that had just bloomed and thought, "this flower is only pretty, because the leaves that surround it are so plentiful and plain." And, "this view wouldn't be half as cool if I saw it every day." Since then, I've altered my answer quite a bit; I've solidified part of it and changed other parts of my answer. Especially with traveling and seeing so many cool things this semester!

What's my answer? it's more of a conversation, or a compilation of thoughts... A) yes, pretty things are pretty because they're unique to your own individual life experiences. For instance, to someone who grows up on a farm, the city may be very pretty. But to someone who lives in the city, they may think farmland is pretty. Also, less commonly seen things (in my opinion) are beautiful. To me, things like:
-a puppy (because I usually see many dogs, but few puppies)
-a male with 6 pack abs (because most do not have a 6 pack haha)
-a view of the beach (beaches are a treat. i do not live on one)
-the old Cathedral in Seville (it is a treat for my eyes to see this every day. For, I haven't seen anything like it in my previous 20 years of life!)
Or B) things are pretty because they are simply pleasing to the eye. ie- symmetry, bright colors, what have you. So if you like the color purple, its not because you see all the other colors more, and purple is unique, its just because you like it. duh. C) The complete opposite of "A...some things can be really really ugly because they are so rarely seen. ie- a cockroach or garbage at a dump yard.  D) The pretty thing is beautiful because it has some sort of happy feeling connected to it. ie- your family smiling, an orange tree, a sunflower, a special ring, etc.

So there's more of my ramblings I know your all missing. Now I'll start the real life stuff going on.

This week was very comfortable, simple and happy for me. One night, Mari-Teri, Moises and Fali were over before dinner. It was for nothing in particular, just to visit. But for the first time, I felt like we had a completely normal conversation, with both lightheartedness and "heavy hearted" parts to it. Jokes and all. They asked us about our family heritage, we asked them about their education and previous jobs. Ah, it was just nice to feel like part of the family. I especially love my host home because it is run very similar to my house--people are welcome to come over at any hour of the day without warning or knocking. You can eat if you want to eat, or stay for 5 minutes. My house (both here and at home) is a central place for visitors, and I love that!

Friday, my program took us to Jerez de la Fronterra and Cadiz. Pictures to come--I haven't gotten them uploaded yet. Jerez is wine country! We went on a shirt walk through the city and then got a tour of one of the bodegas. I loved the tour, the old, dusty barrels in open, wood warehouses looked sooo pretty! The smells were also amazing--like nothing I've ever smelt before! After the tour, we got to taste a dry white wine and bristol cream. And let me tell you--GROSS! I had about 2 sips of each and couldn't choke down any more. So in summary, my nose was very happy with the tour, my taste buds... not so much.

After we were done in Jerez we continued on to Cadiz. We didn't get to see any of the "old town" which was kind of a bummer, but I'm not complaining about a full day at the beach! The beach was gorgeous and the weather was perfect.

I have midterms coming up this week. I have an exam in semantics, modern history of spain and both an exam and presentation to do in phonetics.

Yet another obnoxious American sighting: It was at Starbucks once again (I should know by now that of course Americans are going to be there). Anyways, a 16 year old blonde girl gasps loud enough for half of Starbucks to hear, a few people turn their heads, and she says to her friend, "oh my gosh, they have Arizona ice tea!!!!" Woop-dee-freaking-dooo

No comments:

Post a Comment